.....Children attended school only a few months out of the year, often walking several miles or riding their horses. Snowstorms were a definite danger (as the children at the Cherry School discovered in 1913) and the children of District 24 often stayed with families who lived closer to the school during the school week.
.....A new school building was constructed in the 1920's, which featured a basement where meals were served for neighborhood gatherings. The earlier Case School was sold and moved to a nearby farm, where it was used as a granary. That building burned down on the 29th of June, 1998. When Irving School consolidated with several others to form the Cherry Valley School (District 40), the building was moved to the Cherry Valley site, where it served as a teacherage and rental unit.
|Back to Historic Schools of Douglas County||Back to Douglas County Libraries|