.....Pine Grove was a joint district with our neighbors to the south (El Paso County #27). The district was established March 1, 1880. In 1894 there were 33 students enrolled at Pine Grove, mostly from El Paso County. In 1897 the teacher was named Jennie Gebbie. She was from Kansas and had started teaching in 1893 at the age of 20.
.....The school was moved to the county line area in 1912 and students from Douglas County began to attend along with their El Paso County neighbors. The land for the newly moved school was donated by Julius Aubuschon and was one quarter mile from the Aubuschons' home. The building had formerly been a bunkhouse and was donated by C. A. Dutton. The school appears to have been called to Elton School before it was moved to the Douglas-El Paso County Line Area, when it was renamed Pine Grove.
.....Pine Grove was one of the districts which combined to form Cherry Valley (District 40) in 1952, although other reports claim that it consolidated with Monument in 1938. The families probably sent their children to whichever school seemed most practical. Douglas County children may have attended either East Cherry Creek or Spring Valley Schools, as the Pine Grove School was between them on the county line.
|Back to Historic Schools of Douglas County||Back to Douglas County Libraries|