Click on the photographs
.....Jarre Creek School (District 5) sat on a hill overlooking the mouth of Jarre Canyon, one of the main passages into the Rampart Range in Douglas County.
.....The school appears to have been designated as District 5 around 1874 when the school districts were reorganized to accommodate the formation of Elbert County on Douglas County's eastern border. The Jarre Creek School moved to a log cabin 1888. The location of the school between 1874 and 1888 is somewhat of a mystery. The name "Bear Caņon" is usually associated with an area south of Jarre Creek, where an early school was held on the site of St. Phillip in the Field Episcopal Church, so perhaps the Jarre Creek School was a descendant of that pioneer school.
.....The log cabin was replaced with a 20' x 30' frame building in 1908, a mile east of the cabin. The frame schoolhouse was used until the district was closed in the early 1950's, and the children were sent to nearby Sedalia. The building was purchased shortly after it closed by Vernon Wyatt, and has since been converted into a small house.
.....This school district seems to predate both Garber Creek to the south and Indian Park/Brown's to the west. Children may have attended Jarre Creek (or Bear Canon as it is recorded on the 1899 tax list) before those schools were opened......The mouth of Jarre Canon is located on highway 67, just west of Sedalia, CO.
|Back to Historic Schools of Douglas County||Back to Douglas County Libraries|