Franktown School c. 1900. This building is now part of the Franktown Fire District's buildings,
and is used as the Franktown Museum. Douglas County History Research Center #645.01
.....Like many communities in Douglas County, Franktown has had many schoolhouses in its history. Franktown was the second district organized in 1865 after Sedalia’s school district #1. Franktown’s school had been meeting and collecting taxes as early as 1863, when the total school budget was $55.44. During the early years of the district, the county did not collect school taxes every year because of raids on the settlers by the Native Americans. School may have met in a log structure, three quarters of a mile south east of the intersection of Colorado highways 83 and 86, on the property of Phillip and Sarah Wilcox. The Wilcoxes donated one and one half acres for school purposes in 1874, but the school may have already been there and this was just the formal acknowledgement of that use.
.....In 1881, James Frank Gardner, for whom Franktown is named, donated land east Highway 83 to build a school. This was probably closer to the population of students than the log structure had been. This school was in use for many years. It had wooden siding, painted trim, five windows down the side, a central door on one end with steps leading up to it, and two chimneys which indicates that there were two stoves, and possibly two rooms in the building. A report published in the Castle Rock Journal of 1887 states:
.....In 1924, a teacherage was added a little west of the school, which was converted into classroom space around 1950. After several additions, including the addition of a kitchen, a basement, an all purpose room and other new facilities, the school had three teachers. When the school closed in 1966, students were sent to other districts. A new Franktown Elementary School opened in 1980-1981. Franktown Elementary now has 382 students and forty-two staff members.
.....The old Franktown School, complete with modern addition, is now part of the Franktown Fire District's Buildings. The all purpose room serves as a community meeting room and the classrooms serve as offices for the fire district. The one room school building continues to teach the community through the efforts of the Franktown Museum housed within its walls.
|Back to Historic Schools of Douglas County||Back to Douglas County Libraries|