Dewey School was named for Admiral George Dewey, a Spanish-American
War hero who had defeated the Spanish Fleet at Manilla Bay in 1897.
..... In 1898, Dewey School was formed as Douglas County District
34. The school was located on Crowfoot Valley Road, northeast of Castle
Rock on the Metzler Ranch. During the 15 years of school census
available in the Douglas County History Research Center, (1902-1916) the average attendance
included 7 boys and 8 girls. Dewey School consolidated with Castle Rock
in 1916. The year the school closed, there were 7 boys and 12 girls,
all claiming Castle Rock as their address.